6.14.2010

Peanut Butter and Fudge Cake

So if you haven't already been able to tell, Peanut Butter is one of my favorite ingredients, especially in baking. I find challenge in pairing with just about anything that seems fit. From the largest homemade Nutter Butter cookie from Bouchon Bakery in NYC, I haven't given up on replicating my own PB delights. A cake seemed less done in the PB world, and a bit of a challenge given the texture and moisture expected in a cake. I researched recipes and created my own that works for higher altitude (I am about 4500 ft). I have several friends that tell me they don't need to change recipes for the higher altitude here, but I swear after living in NYC at sea level it is an absolute must for success! Typically I increase the flour slightly, or decrease the sugar, but then add an extra egg for moisture. Another trick is to bake at 20 degrees lower and add a few minutes if you do not alter the recipe.

Well on to PB Cake heaven, I cheated and used Fudge frosting, from Pillsbury, I suppose I could have made it on my own, but after running a marathon on Saturday it just didn't seem necessary to go the extra mile, hehe!

1 1/4 cup flour (use AP, or Pastry Flour if you have it)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together and set aside.
Combine wet ingredients in a mixer, adding the egg last.

3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk (you can use milk and 1 tsp lemon)
1/3 cup hot water
1 egg

After mixed evenly, add in dry ingredients until combined. Optional is to add a 1/4 cup PB Chips and Semi Sweet Chips, but I found this make a sweet cake too sweet for my taste buds.

This was a sweet post marathon smashing success!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment