9.29.2010

Chai Pudding (GF & Vegan)


Ever since I met Cardamom, I knew there was something special. Something I couldn't resist. Try as I may, I couldn't get enough. I began making Cardamom cookies, Cardamom bread, I would even sneak it into my hot chocolate for extra flair. Little did I know that Cardamom was the amazing spice that made Chai what it is. Cardamom is the heart and soul of Chai. No wonder I love Chai flavor. I have had a hard time with Chai given that I don't like the caffeine associated in most of the prepared mixes, so I was absolutely SPICE STRUCK when I found out I could make my own blend! Granted the true Chai blend involves a bit more refinement (Allspice, black pepper, star anise, etc). However with these base ingredients you are on your way:

Chai Spice Blend:
1 tbsp Cardamom
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Ginger

Again if you happen to have Allspice and black pepper add 1/4 tsp each as well for kick!

What to do with this new blend? The options really are endless, add to a quick bread like pumpkin or banana. (And by the way, word on the street is canned pumpkin is back in the stores! Who hoo! Pumpkin is going to save the holidays after all!)

There are times when I crave creaminess, and the texture of pudding fits the bill like nothing else! However I have a strong disdain for snack pack puddings, overly sweet pudding mixes, mixes with high fructose corn syrup, and if I am feeling lactose intolerant, puddings with milk. So this little number offers all the creaminess of pudding without all the extra sugar, artificial flavor, and milk. Oh and I seriously promise it is just as easy to make as the packages (and cheaper)! If you are really feeling like you need the milk, go for it, I won't stop you! Also get creative with add-ins for texture (rice, raisins, almonds).

Chai Pudding

Mix dry ingredients in saucepan:
4 1/2 tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or regular is fine)
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp Chai Spice blend (see above)

Over medium heat add 3 cups Soy milk (or regular). Whisk continuously for about 3-4 minutes until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat and cool to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment