6.27.2011

Thai Broccoli Slaw


I am slightly obsessed with slaws lately, it must be summertime. This one I will make again, and again, and again. It was simple, delicious and utilized mostly on hand ingredients. I think I can mix it up based on what is in the fridge and pantry to suit my taste anytime. This rendition has quinoa, because I am obsessed with using quinoa ever since I bought a 4lb bag at Costco, and learned that it is a complete protein, is gluten free and fabulous.

The thai shines through in the Thai Dressing. You control the heat in amount of chili's you add.

Thai Broccoli Slaw:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups lime/lemon water

Rinse 1 cup quinoa and add to a rice cooker (I add some oil to bottom to prevent sticking) with 2 cups of water with 1-2 tbsps of it fresh lime or lemon juice. Quinoa is quite bland on it's own so this adds some zing in the cooking process.

Mix with Quinoa (adapt to your preference and on hand ingredients)
1/2 cup soaked raisins (I soak mine in boiled water for plumped texture)
1/2 crushed peanuts
1 chopped apple
1 bag of broccoli slaw (or about 3 cups)
2-3 medium shredded carrots (I used a peeler for a nice look)

Thai Dressing:
6 tbsp rice or cider vinegar (rice is best but I didn't have any and it tasted great to me, do not use a dark vinegar like balsalmic or red wine)
2 tbsp olive oil (canola or vegetable could be substituted)
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger or 2 tbsp fresh ginger
1-2 tsp minced garlic
3-4 tbsps peanut butter
a pinch of chili powder

In a blender mix Dressing ingredients and combine with slaw ingredients.
Garnish with
fresh cilantro and/or parsley.

Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment