9.03.2011

Ginger Kissed PB Choc Chip Cookies

In a word....
Different

No, No
Unique

Wait, no, I got it this time!
AMAZING!!!

I typically believe that if you mix too many flavors they start to compete against one another and you lose overall value. Especially with sacred ingredients like Peanut Butter AND Chocolate. I mean come on if you are going to make a Peanut Butter cookie, make a PEANUT BUTTER cookie! Now we all know these players, Peanut Butter and Chocolate, the Romeo & Juliet of a forbidden dessert. They were made to be joined in a never ending forbidden love affair. However oats and ginger, really? That seems too risky, that seems like we are going too far. Slow down turbo.

So I had my doubts.

But I had to know.

What did I have to lose, a few ingredients that I always have on hand because I am obsessed with making cookies. Could I risk it and take a step away from the tried and true classics?

Yes, and now I have gone down a path with which I will never come back.

Peanut butter? Yes

Chocolate? Of course

Oats? Sure

Ginger? Wow, slow down. Who knew? Yes, yes, and more yes

And each one of these ingredients parts add something invaluable to the main production. PB and Chocolate, the stars, we all love them and resonate with familiarity, comfort, and indulgence. Oats, like the beautiful back drop add texture, interest and depth. Ginger, wow, just a small part, but you prove crucial in this production adding excitement and newness.

So without further ado, I am pleased to introduce my new favorite cookie: the amazingly textured, intriguing, dynamic, chewy, charismatic, saucy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Ginger cookie:

While I can't capture the magic of my first bite of warm deliciousness fresh from the oven, I can capture the recipe, and only hope that by so doing the re-creation can happen again, and again, and then again, and then how about again, and......ok you get the point here.

Trust me, it's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Ginger Kissed PB Choc Chip Cookies
(and if saying it isn't a mouthful, eating it is even more so)

1 cup plus 1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp corn starch
3/4 cups oats (I like the texture but 1/2 cup is the original recipe)
1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp baking soda
1/2-1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients until blended in a bowl and set aside. In a mixer beat butter until smooth, add PB and mix on high until smooth, no lumps. Add sugars and mix on high until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix on medium until just smooth, do not overmix.

Add dry ingredients and blend until just combined. If you are at a high altitude (like myself) the flour should be just about right, otherwise start with 1 cup and add the extra tbsp only if you feel the dough is a bit too wet. The cornstarch is optional and can be replaced with flour but adds a soft texture to the cookie. The vanilla, salt, and ginger can be adjusted to your personal taste. I used a full tsp of ginger, because it was just so rocking, and I really wanted to make sure you could pick up on it load and clear.

In a preheated 350 degree oven, bake until the tops are slightly brown on the ridges and a firmness to touch. This will take anywhere from 8-14 minutes depending on size of cookies, baking sheet, and placement in the oven. These are some you do not want to over bake.

Ok, have fun with these. I did, so will you. And let the risk takers align our course.

No comments:

Post a Comment