5.31.2011

Key Lime Pie

I have never been a pie person.

Until now.

Key Lime Pie, you stole my heart the first time I made you.

For one of the first times in my baking existence, the first recipe I tried is dead on. No need to look any further. It is like when I first met my husband, I just knew. Well almost.

My main disdain with pies in general is their crust, I simply do not care for the globby, soggy crust of pasty flour and butter. It takes away from the beauty of what it is encasing. If it is fruit I'd rather have a cobbler, and go straight for the good stuff. Of course their is one exception: graham cracker crusts, IF the pie fits.

Key lime pie filling is so amazingly tart and refreshing, you almost need a little crust to mellow the flavor. So thanks to some Allrecipes research, I found this recipe fast and it's perfect, just perfect.

Key Lime Pie

1 9 inch Graham Cracker Crust, or GF crust if that's how you roll!
3 eggs
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
pinch of salt
pinch of cream of tarter

Whipping Cream and lime for Garnish (optional)

Separate 2 of the eggs, placing the two egg whites into a mixing bowl. Reserve the yolks in another bowl.


To the yolks, add one whole egg, lime juice and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk until smooth.

With clean mixer blades or a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Fold whites into filling mixture. Pour filling into crust.


Bake in preheated 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until set (not jiggly). Let cool at room temperature, then refrigerate (optional place in freezer for an hour before serving for easier slicing). Serve decorated with whipped cream and lime slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment