5.25.2011

Root Beer Float Cupcakes


Lately, I have felt inclined to take my baking off the 'cookie only' path. Cookies are a safe bet for me, an art I feel comfortable in knowing the outcome.

But every once in awhile, you just want to let your hair down, and get crazy. Shake it up. I had a cupcake the other day from Harmon's bakery that had a unique root beer flavor. Whenever I experience something new I like, I instantly ask myself the question, "how can I recreate this, or perhaps make even better?"

I'm a perfectionist, its true. These aren't yet perfect, but it's worth working towards.
Root Beer Float Cupcakes

1 ½ cups cake flour (if you don't have any use AP and replace 2-3 tbsp with cornstarch)
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt (I always use a touch more)

Mix above dry ingredients in a bowl:

½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg plus 2 egg whites½ teaspoon vanilla extract 3/4 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon root beer concentrate (got it at Walmart, not that hard to find)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy.

Add in egg and egg whites, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition to combine before adding the next.

Add in the flour mixture and milk mixture in three alternating additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just to combine each addition before adding the next.

Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full with batter. Bake in oven for 15 to 18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out clean.

Let cupcakes cool completely before decorating. And then of course, the best part....

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

3 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon root beer concentrate

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 tablespoons milk, until desired consistency is acheived

Cream butter and add sugar until combined, then add root beer and vanilla, mix then add milk until desired consistency is achieved.

Lastly, enjoy.....



No comments:

Post a Comment