7.11.2010

Festive Pork Roast

All hail to meat! Since Micah and I have gotten married, I have never prepared and ate as much meat as I have in my entire life, seriously! I grew up in a family that considered Tuna Casserole with one can of tuna for a family of 8 to be a meat centered meal. Occasionally mom whipped out a meatloaf or chicken thighs, but again it was occasional, and she had 7 girls that didn't care much for the extra cost and effort! The meat change in my life came from marrying a man who's only meatless meals are Mac n' Cheese and a cheese burrito. He doesn't eat beans, wont even touch one, and I think that tofu seems like only a scary white blob to him. Every once in a while we have an omelet for dinner but even then it seems he would like ham or bacon to accompany it. For him a full belly means lots of meat to fill it!

In the beginning of our marriage I felt bothered and worried about this looming meat filled meals ahead of us, that I, a meat cooking novice, would have to cook. I also felt the desire to cook a wonderful meal for my new husband. Then the reality set in. It turns out that the crock pot has become one of my best friends, especially on Sundays and busier days. Then I realized that once warm weather hits he prefers most of his meat grilled, which means, yes he gets to cook the meat, and for the summer I am off the hook with only the side dishes to make. So it isn't so bad after all, and my husband has opened me up to the joys of fine tasting, fine cooked meats that I may never have discovered.
I love to purchase a small pork tenderloin when it's on sale and quick cook it in the skillet with a sweet sauce. This week I tried a Pork Loin Center Roast for the first time, so I trust crock pot to take care of it! I cooked it on the high setting for 4 hours do to shorter time to prepare, but this thing nearly fell apart it was so moist. Micah loved it and so did I. It seems as though pork is always best accompanied with something sweet, so here goes!

Festive Pork Roast

1 3lb Pork Loin Center Roast (or 1 1/2 lb for 2-3 people)
3/4 cup cranberry juice
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp oil
1 tsp curry paste (i like green thai kitchen curry paste)
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp fresh oregano (optional, I just had on hand and wanted to try it out!)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp cornstarch

Mix all the above ingredients except the roast, cold water and cornstarch. Place the roast in the crock pot with strings on and fat on top, vegetables surrounding the meat is optional (I like carrots). Pour the liquid mixture over the roast making sure roast is well covered and their is enough liquid to cover the vegetables. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours.

I always opt for the low setting if I began the process early enough, the slower you go the more tender the meat in the end!

Happy Crock Potting to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment