7.26.2010

Root Beer Float Pie


I know, I know, you didn't even know I made pies. Well, the truth is, I don't. I am a sucker for cookies and ice cream, and for some reason pies have never captured my attention.

Until today.

I was once again researching one of the best Pie places in the US, Norske Nook. I haven't yet been there, but from all the reviews I have heard, I plan to make the drive down to WI next time I am visiting my sister in the twin cities. From what my friends have told me the meringue on the lemon meringue is so high you can bury your face in it. Some day, some day...

While looking over their website, http://www.norskenook.com/, I came across some pictures to validate the rumors. Some day, however, the meringue will be right before my eyes. While scanning the flavors I came across one called Root Beer Float. Could it be, a Root Beer Float Pie? With no picture, I could only dream of how one could replicate such a concoction. Was it a frozen RB Ice Cream Pie? a custard? Was it frothy on top in a chilled cup?

I had to get to the bottom of this, literally. So I consulted the trusted internet for some Root Beer Pie Recipes. I found two that seemed like keepers. In the last two weeks I have tried them both. The first one was made with Vanilla Pudding, and Root Beer Soda, but no extract. We invited some favorite friends, and it was a winner on all accounts. However, I in my perfectionist baking syndrome, found the RB flavor to be too weak, and the Vanilla too strong from the pudding. I found another recipe that mimicked the pudding consistency with Corn Starch, but allowed for RB Extract to strengthen the flavor. Then some whip cream on top, and its a delightful floating keeper.

This one is know becoming a husband requested and oh so easy to make! My husband even went out after I made it the first time and bought root beer barrel candy's to adorn the top for the next pie! So try it this summer, and float away on a Root Beer Cloud.

Root Beer Float Pie

1 Graham Cracker Crust
4-5 tbsp corn starch
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp's melted butter
1 1/4 cups half and half
1 cup Root Beer soda
2-3 tsp Root Beer extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tub of whipped topping

1. I like to make my own graham cracker crust, if you are the same, take about 18 crackers mashed, and mix with a few tbsp's of sugar (depending on how sweet you like it) and 1/4 cup melted butter. I don't use any sugar, because I use the Cinnamon-Sugar Grahams that already have a nice sprinkling of sugar. When you mix the butter in, if it isn't sticking together, add a tsp or two of water. Press evenly into pie dish, and bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes until bubbly.

2. Mix corn starch and sugar together. Mix milk, soda, and melted butter together while they are still cold (otherwise corn starch will not mix evenly, I always learn this the hard way). Then heat the mixture over medium heat stirring constantly. It will take a few minutes of patiently stirring, wondering if you have wasted money on ingredients, but I promise about 4-5 minutes of stirring, and it will magically thicken right before your eyes. I think our generation is so used to instant pudding, we forgot how the cook and serve pudding works (in fact its almost impossible to find at the store any more).

3. Mix in RB and Vanilla Extract. You add this at the end so the heat does not cook the flavor out. How much RB extract you add depends on your taste, I went for 2 tsps the first time, but I think I might do 3 next time, I like a strong flavor, and it depends on the quality/strength of the extract.
4. Pour the mixture into a cooled crust, and refrigerate until set at least 3 hours. The whipped topping can be added as it is, or if you want another kick of RB flavor, add a 1/2 tsp of RB extract to the whipped topping first, and then add to pie. Garnish with crushed Root Beer Barrels.
5. Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment