7.29.2010

Whoopie what?!?


Whoopie Mint Pies

I don't know what the Pie has gotten into me. Like I said, I have never been so fascinated with Pies in all my bakinghood. So technically, this isn't a pie. But it sure has the Pie word glaring in our face. I suppose the light texture of the cookie portion resembles more of a cake in taste and texture, and the frosting, can go on just about any baked goods. The beauty of these little suckers, is the soft moistness of a cupcake, and the frosting in the center that can be tailored to any flavor and color.

On the first round, I stuck to a standard center, white, vanilla, you know what I mean. On the next go around, I wised up to the mint extract and green food coloring, to call them Whoopie Mint Pies.

Delish.

Get creative with the extracts if you want another flavor, I considered orange and lemon as well. And relatively easy for a sunday evening. This recipe make about 10 average size pies, so if you have a crowd double the recipe.

Whoopie Mint Pies

1 cup AP Flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (or sub Milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg

1. Mix dry ingredients and set aside.

2. Beat butter and brown sugar together in mixer on medium until fluffy (3-5 min's). Add egg and mixed until combined. Alternate adding dry mixture and milk and mixed until well combined, add vanilla.

3. Use baking sheets with parchment paper or buttered. Scoop about 1 1/2 tbsps of mixture (depending on the size you like them) onto baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-13 minutes (depending on size). Top should be springy.
Filling:
1 egg white
Beat on high until soft foam peaks. Then

Beat the below together in a separate bowl.
2 tbsp's flour or 1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup's powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

Gently fold in beat egg white.

Cool the frosting in the refrigerator, and then fill cookies once they have cooled!

No comments:

Post a Comment