4.07.2010

Chicken Curry

I still remember the first time I had curry, sweet memory that it is. I recall the desire to lick my plate of every last drop of the yummy liquid called COCONUT MILK. In college was my first encounter with this amazing substance. As if it wasn't desirable enough you can imagine my affection for curry as I adopted the gluten free diet and a love for yoga!

For many years, curry was a rare delight that came only when visiting an Indian restaurant. It took my dear friend, Rebecca, in college to teach me that it could be made at home quite easily. She taught me to employ the help of the experts, Thai Kitchen brand curry paste, which then makes it a Thai Curry. This made for an easy and doable meal in about 30 minutes, and only a few simple ingredients: meat, vegetables, Thai Kitchen Curry Paste, and Coconut Milk! That recipe still stands as a wonderful recipe when time is limited, and the mixing of spices makes you nervous. But my personality lends to always wanted to perfect a recipe. So with some experimenting this is what I offer. If the veggies are fresh from the garden, well, even better. I offer carrots and potatoes as the vegetable in this variation, but feel free to experiment! So without further adieu!

Chicken Curry
2-3 red potatoes, cut up
2-3 large carrots, cut up

1 tbsp madras curry powder (plus extra to coat chicken: optional)
1/2 tsp pepper (freshly cracked is best)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried basil (or 2-3 tbsp fresh snipped)
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 tsp each coriander and cumin (if you don't have these on hand: chili powder will do)
2 tsp cornstarch
1 can unsweetened lite coconut milk (13.5-14.5 oz)
1 bay leaf (optional)

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
1-2 tsp garlic
3-4 skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-2" pieces

2-3 cups hot cooked rice

1. Add bite size pieces of carrots and potatoes to boiling water, boil 5-10 min, til softer but still crisp.

2. Meanwhile, mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, add coconut milk and mix very well, to remove lumps.

3. Add oil to skillet and heat to medium. Add garlic and chopped onion for about 3-5 minutes, to soften onions. Add cut up chicken pieces, 3-5 minutes until no longer pink. Add coconut milk mixture and carrots and potatoes. Turn heat down to simmer, place lid on, and let flavors meld about 10-15 minutes.

4. Enjoy! The most important step!

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic and your kids will love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such a dork Micah, since when do kids love Curry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaahhhaa! Micah you are so funny! Actually, I'm pretty sure my kids like it!

    Connie, thanks for reminding me about this one...I wish I could have some right now. I LOVE curry and I just don't eat it enough!

    ReplyDelete