4.05.2010

PB&J Heaven Cookies


Ok, how PB&J brings us back to the days of childhood, or maybe college survival? The infamous PB&J is distinctly American, a food that became popularized during the great depression for its low cost and high nutrition. Chances are, if you are American, and not allergic to peanuts or wheat, at some point you have experienced a classic PB&J.

As I child I didn’t care much for PB&J’s, in fact I opted for just about any other sandwich (even tuna). But my adulthood has changed my discerning taste buds. My first love of PB&J came not from a sandwich but a PB&J cupcake from Buttercup Bake shop on 72nd street (bw Columbus & Amsterdam) in Manhattan. Which, if you go to Manhattan you must get a cupcake at Buttercup Bake Shop, they hands down far surpass Magnolia’s Bakery.

It seemed like such a unique flavor, and with a love of PB, I simply couldn’t resist. The first bite exceeded any expectations, as it combined fluffy sweet nutter frosting and strawberry jam surrounded by a light airy cake. It was at that point PB&J took on a whole new level. Love at first bite.

Now, in order to recreate this blissful experience, I have to honor that my forte is cookies, not cupcakes. So I have attempted to recreate these in cookie version, and trust me, they wont let you down. The initial idea and recipe came form a Pillsbury Bake Off cookbook, the old fashioned ones from 1991 that sold for only $2.50. Pillsbury called them Children’s Choice Cookie, I call them PB&J Heaven. With a few tweaks to the recipe, I recreated the jam in the center effect that the cupcake delivered. You can place the jam on top without a covering, but after trying both ways, I highly recommend a lid for your jam, just like the sandwich!

PB&J Heaven Cookies:

Mix together and set aside in separate bowl:

2 ½ cups flour (AP or mix of half white/wheat)

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp sea salt

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp nutmeg

1 ¾ cup rolled oats


Cream together:

1 cup butter

½ cup Peanut Butter

½ cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar

After creaming until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, add in:

¼ cup applesauce

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

Mix until fluffy, then add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Refrigerate dough for 12-24 hours.

Shape about 2/3rds of dough into 3 inch round ¼" thick patties. Use the rest of the dough to make 1 ½ -2 inch round patties as a topper. Place ½-1 tsp of jam of choice (I like Raspberry) in the center of the larger patties, place smaller topper on and let a bit of jam ooze out the sides, looks prettier this way! You can dress up these cookies as much as you like with a garnish on the topper: slice of strawberry, peanuts, chocolate chips!

Parchment paper is best on the cookie sheet, especially if any jam oozes out the sides (and it will)! If they ooze too much try making the edges of the cookie base thicker or using a bit less jam.

Bake at preheated 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Kids will love these! You should definitely give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i love Micah, even when he doesn't like what I cook, he is still my #1 fan!

    ReplyDelete