4.28.2010

Moroccan Soup Heaven


So, there are times in all our lives were we simply need to express who we are without any apologizing. These are moments in which our true natures surface, and we indulge in the comforts of life that define us. I express myself often through food, what I eat, how I eat, where I eat, and when I eat. For my husband this ennobling, expressive meal would be Kraft Mac n' Cheese with a Coke at 10pm after a long day of work. For me, it consists of a meal with international flavor and not a single ingredient that my husband would touch with a 10 foot pole. It comes on a Saturday evening after a long week and a day full of landscaping/gardening selection and planting. The meal, Morrocan Soup.

Welcome to my Moroccan Soup heaven. In my heaven dairy, gluten, and meat do not need to exist to fill my belly, rather the aroma of curry tantalizes my senses and a tender array of balanced produce pleases me on a most soulful level. About the only thing better than a curry dish swimming in coconut milk, would be this soup swimming in coconut milk, adorned with chick peas (my favorite non-beany bean), oh so sweet potato, peppers, tomatoes, chiles, and the perfect blend of spices to complete the experience. The coconut milk sets it apart from most traditional Moroccan Soup/Stew recipes, but its also what makes this soup a meal, and a treasure to delight in.

This recipe is adapted from Gluten Free Goddess, goddess that she is. I did make a few adjustments. Enjoy your journey to Moroccan heaven!

Moroccan Soup Heaven

3 cups light tasting vegetable broth
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, diced
1 large apple (any will do but I used Braeburn), diced
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes or 3-4 tomatoes diced
1 15-oz. can chick peas, rinsed, drained
1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
1 lime, juiced, and grated lime zest
1 tablespoon green Thai Kitchen Green curry or Garam masala
1/2 tsp each cinnamon, cumin, ginger
several saffron threads crushed, (optional for special occasion!)
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Sea Salt, to taste

Combine all the ingredients above in a pot, cover and cook over medium low heat for 30-45 minute, until vegetables are soft. Add extra curry paste if you like it spicy. For garnish I like to add raisins and sliced almonds.

The wonderful thing about this soup is you is it is extremely versatile. If you don't have the above veggies, swap them out for red potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. If you are trying to cut back on fat and calories you can omit the coconut milk. However, be forewarned taking out the coconut milk is like taking clouds out of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment