4.06.2010

Gluten Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Let me begin by saying this post has more to do with honoring the lovely Karina Allrich and her gluten-free blog than the recipe that follows. I give my love and thanks to Karina’s, for making gluten free cooking inspiring, achievable, simple, and fun! She makes gluten free accessible to so many of us in a non gluten free world. Thank you Karina, goddess of Gluten Free. This recipe is from her most recent blog post, so I dare not take credit in anyway. I have tweaked the recipe using alternate GF flours I had on hand and dairy. Be sure to check out the original!

The inspiration came to try out this delight after bringing home some juicy, plump strawberries. I wanted to make best use of these beauties, so acknowledging that my husband doesn’t care for strawberries, I was able to be totally selfish and deferred to Karina’s blog to find a perfectly tailored post: Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins. Yum!!!! Four of my favorite things: Gluten Free, Baking, Strawberries, and chocolate! Does it get any better than this on a Saturday afternoon?

Below is a variation of Karina’s original recipe, using alternate flours and dairy.

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins- Gluten Free

Makes 12 muffins

1-1½ cup sliced strawberries, set aside to dry out.

Mix dry ingredients together:

1 cup Brown Rice Flour

2/3 cup tapioca flour

1 tsp xantham gum

½ tsp sea salt

½ tsp baking soda

1 ½ tsp baking powder

1 cup light brown sugar


Blend in wet ingredients:

¾ cup milk

½ tsp rice vinegar or lemon juice

¼ cup olive oil (or canola)

1 ½ tsp real vanilla extract

1 egg

Beat until smooth, than add in ¾ cup chocolate chips.

Spoon 1 tbsp of batter into each of 12 muffin cups. Place 3 to 4 strawberries on top of the batter. Repeat spooning 1 tbsp of batter on top of the strawberries, covering them.

Add another layer of 3-4 sliced strawberries on each muffin top, pushing slightly into the batter. While you are at it, a few extra chocolate chips on top doesn’t hurt!

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until springy when touched.

3 comments:

  1. Love these! Are you still on for the bake sale? I sure hope so. Your gluten free treats are the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, in fact, I will bring a few of these muffins for sure!

    ReplyDelete